Web Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter

Illinois Quick Hits: Grubhub settlement payments en route | Illinois

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn



(The Center Square) – The Federal Trade Commission says it has begun sending 640,038 payments totaling more than $23.8 million to Grubhub drivers and diners harmed by the Chicago-based food delivery platform’s misleading claims and unlawful conduct.

Following a settlement reached in December 2024, Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul said a multi-year investigation revealed that Grubhub’s deceptive business practices were negatively affecting participants in nearly every aspect of the company’s transactions.

Raoul alleged that Grubhub misled consumers about the cost of delivery and the benefits of a Grubhub Plus subscription, blocked consumers from their accounts and funds, misled drivers about the amount of money they could make and listed restaurants on Grubhub’s app without their knowledge or consent, and in some instances, over their explicit objections.

NEW CITIZENS TO BE WELCOMED IN CHICAGO

A naturalization ceremony is scheduled on Tuesday afternoon in Chicago for 101 new United States citizens representing 35 countries.

U.S. Rep. Sean Casten, D-IL, is scheduled to offer remarks, and U.S. District Judge Thomas M. Durkin is slated to administer the oath during proceedings at the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse in Chicago.

According to a statement from the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the ceremony comes as the district’s court-administered naturalizations are tracking well below recent years. 

FORMER ILLINOIS MAN CHARGED IN INVESTMENT SCHEME

A Florida man who previously resided in Illinois has pleaded not guilty to charges that he allegedly swindled people in a fraudulent investment scheme.

U.S. government attorneys said Makaio’ Kekoa, 39, formerly known as Lorenzo Hood, falsely informed victim investors that he had the ability to invest their money in short-term, high-yield investment opportunities.

Kekoa then allegedly misappropriated the funds for his personal use. Prosecutors said Kekoa caused the victim investors to incur cumulative losses of at least $180,000.

GRUNDY COUNTY MAN INDICTED ON CHILD PORN CHARGES

A federal grand jury in Chicago has indicted a Grundy County man on child pornography charges for allegedly inducing two minors to engage in sexually explicit conduct.

Prosecutors said Duane DeMichele, 45, of Diamond, IL received numerous video files containing child pornography in February and March 2026. DeMichele was arrested on June 30.

STATE FAIR MASTER SHOWMANSHIP WINNERS ANNOUNCED

The Illinois Farm Bureau has announced the winners of the 2026 Illinois State Fair Master Showmanship contest.

Toby Behrends of Sheffield was named Grand Champion Overall Master Showman in the competition for 4-H members age 14 to 18.

The beef division winner was Wyatt DeAth of Indianola, the swine division winner was Austin Komnick of Auburn, and the sheep division winner was J.W. Simms-Reisner of Ellery.



Source link

Picture of Caleb Alexander

Caleb Alexander

Sign up for our Newsletter

Click edit button to change this text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit