Located in the southwestern part of Illinois, O’Fallon is a charming city that offers a variety of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. But if you’re looking to explore more of the area, there are also plenty of things to do near O’Fallon. Here are some options:
- Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site Just a few miles from O’Fallon lies the Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site. This UNESCO World Heritage site features the remains of a pre-Columbian Native American city, including several large mounds that were used for ceremonial purposes. Visitors can explore the site and learn about the history of the Mississippian culture that lived there.
- St. Louis Zoo Located about 20 miles from O’Fallon, the St. Louis Zoo is one of the best zoos in the country. The zoo features a wide range of animals, including lions, tigers, elephants, and giraffes, as well as several exhibits and attractions such as the Penguin & Puffin Coast and the Sea Lion Show.
- Gateway Arch The Gateway Arch is a famous landmark located in St. Louis, also about 20 miles from O’Fallon. Visitors can take a tram to the top of the arch for stunning views of the city and the Mississippi River, or explore the museum located beneath the arch to learn about its construction and history.
- Cardinals Baseball Game If you’re a fan of baseball, attending a St. Louis Cardinals game can be a fun and exciting experience. The team’s home stadium is located in St. Louis and is easily accessible from O’Fallon.
- Missouri Botanical Garden Also located in St. Louis, the Missouri Botanical Garden is a beautiful attraction that features a variety of gardens and plant collections. Visitors can explore the gardens, attend educational programs, and even take a stroll through the Japanese Garden.
- Gateway Arch National Park The Gateway Arch National Park is located in St. Louis and features several historical sites, including the Old Courthouse and the Museum of Westward Expansion. Visitors can learn about the history of the westward expansion of the United States and the important role that St. Louis played in it.
- National Great Rivers Museum Located in nearby Alton, IL, the National Great Rivers Museum features exhibits about the Mississippi River and the Great Rivers region. Visitors can learn about the ecology of the river, its history, and the many industries that rely on it.
- Hiking and Biking There are several parks and trails near O’Fallon where visitors can enjoy hiking, biking, and other outdoor activities. Rock Springs Park and the Madison County Transit Trail are both popular options.
- Local Wineries There are several wineries located near O’Fallon, including Eckert’s Winery and Hidden Lake Winery. These wineries offer tours, tastings, and other events.
- Festivals and Events There are several festivals and events held in the O’Fallon area throughout the year, including the O’Fallon Fall Fest, the Highland Street Art Festival, and the St. Louis Renaissance Festival. These events offer a chance to enjoy local food, music, and culture.
As you can see there are plenty of things to do near O’Fallon, IL, whether you’re interested in history, nature, sports, or culture. So why not plan a visit to this charming part of the Midwest and explore all that it has to offer?